Sunday, February 1, 2009

Road Trip!

Canyon and I decided that the best thing we could possibly do was drive to Salt Lake City Utah to get the work out about YONink and the documentary project that we are working on. We packed up the car, and drove for 10 hours to Salt Lake. We were greeted with a wonderful exclusive party in Park City that featured the film "My Own Two Feet" that we worked on last winter and all the free beer wine or champagne you can drink. Needless to say, it was a good night.

We stayed with out friend Forrest who treated us like gold. Forrest is one of those people that would just do anything for you despite his busy schedule as a pro-snowboarder. He really took good care of us.

The reason for the trip was the Outdoor Retailer show in SLC. Forrest got us passes (usually $400 each) and we snuck in with our project proposal in hand and our name tags covered by business cards. We talked to a lot of big outdoor companies that seem very interested in the project, so we'll see how it goes. I think we can seriously get some funding for it and make it happen. It's pretty much Canyon's baby, I'm just trying to rock it off the ground.

While we were in Utah, we got to snowboard a day at Solitude mountain. On the second run of the day, we followed a local up what he deemed "one of the scarier hikes in the Wasatch" where I almost peed my pants and cried at least twice. We were hiking along a ridge with exposed rock faces and certain death on either side. Not so fun. I guess the ride down was worth it after we got past the super steep drop-in. The trees were untouched and there was plenty of powder for all.
I guess it was worth it.

It was that experience that lent some eye opening realizations to me. I realized that I don't really have much desire to put myself in situations where I don't feel safe anymore...well, as far as adrenaline sports are concerned anyways. I don't really like being scared anymore. I always say that the reward is worth it, but I actually don't think it is. I must be getting old...

Anyways, from there, we decided that we should go visit my old friend Scott Smith in Jackson Hole where he works at the top of the tram selling waffles. This kid is pretty much a legend at Jackson Hole thanks to his stellar waffles. We had an amazing day of fresh snow, all the waffles we could eat and free drinks at the end to boot! Doesn't get much better than that. It was so good to spend some time with Scotty. I forgot how good of friends we were. He's hilarious.

A ten hour drive back, and here I am in Montana again. Back to work!