Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Crocodile Country

Well, it's official. We are in Salt Water Crocodile Country. The adorable elderly lady at the information center told us that she wouldn't be caught dead (no pun intended) swimming anywhere north of Rockhampton, Queensland. You wouldn't believe some of the places that we have been camping either. We have had fresh fish, swimmer crabs, mud crabs or oysters for almost every meal for the last week...including breakfast on some occasions! Mick saw a Frilly Necked Lizard on the side of the road yesterday, and pulled over and chased it down. He's crazy! He thinks he's Steve Irwin or something, and he pretty much is. I'm learning so much about fishing, I should be a pro by the time I get back to the States!

There has been a slight change in plans. We were planning on going north to Darwin to pick mangoes until we heard from numerous people that it is upwards of 100 degrees there. I'm not really into working in extreme heat, with mango sap, so we decided to go just north to the Daintree NP (world famous Rainforest) and then see what happens from there. We are currently traveling along the Great Barrier Reef, so I'd love to get in some snorkeling...maybe for my birthday!

Next stop is Cairns! Australia is so WILD!! I love it!